Burrowing Owl brochure
Download the new brochure, "Burrowing
Owls of Marco" by clicking HERE.
History of Burrowing Owls on Marco
When Nancy Richie, Environmental Specialist
for the City of Marco Island, began monitoring owls in 2001, only a handful
were present on the island.
From, 2001 to the present, posting and
oversight by Nancy Richie and the Owl Prowl (maintenance crew volunteers)
have helped the city's burrowing owl population grow to over 400, even with
urban development at an all time high.
Since Mrs. Richie's departure to the private
sector, Audubon of the Western Everglades is proud to sponsor this dynamic
population to help protect this charismatic Florida state threatened
Florida's burrowing owls dig their burrows
in vacant lots and open spaces and are year-round residents. The local population
breeds between February and July but some do rear their young outside of
these months. Special permits are required for removal or relocation
of burrows. Burrowing owls can be of special benefit in urban settings
since they consume insects including roaches and mole crickets. They also
eat amphibians and rodents.
Burrowing Owls facts
- Only species of owl to live underground
- Burrows are up to 3 feet deep and 5-12
- Return to the same burrows each year
- Once partners are chosen, they mate for
- Oldest known owl was 9 years, 11 months
- About 9 inches tall, the size of a water
- Diurnal and nocturnal, hunting day and
- Protected under Federal Migratory Bird
Treaty Act, are a Florida species of special concern, and are a protected
species through a CMI ordinance
Please report malicious destruction or harassment of
burrowing owls or their burrows to
FWC 1-888-404-FWCC (3922)
How do you get involved:
- Sponsor the Owl Prowl maintenance crew
and Owl Watch by donating to AWE for a business sponsorship, equipment
need to maintain the burrows, signs to post at burrows and supplies needed
to mark around a burrow area.
- Monitor a neighborhood during nesting
season. Training will be provided.
- If you want to attract a burrow in your
yard, we can supply you with a starter burrow kit.
- E-mail email@example.com to get more information.
Please help us save these beautiful creatures!
Help Marco's Burrowing Owls with a donation to provide
supplies such as rope, posts, signs, and lawn care to maintain the grassy
areas around the burrows.
and thank you to our corporate/family sponsors who continue to support our
Owl Watch Program.
ADOPT AN OWL! You can support
Burrowing Owl conservation in Marco Island by symbolically adopting a color-banded
owl. This symbolic adoption sponsors a portion of Owl Watch and research
efforts for one year. Several adoption packages are available.
- $100 donation: Sponsor receives adoption certificate, 4x6 photo
of the owl, a Burrowing Owl fact sheet and an end-of-season update
- $250 donation: Sponsor receives everything listed above plus
a plush owl with matching color bands and an 8x10 print of the owl
- $1,000 donation: Sponsor receives everything listed above plus
the option to name a banded owl and recognition on the Audubon of
the Western Everglades web site
- $5,000 donation: Sponsor receives everything listed above plus
a lunch with the Executive Director of Audubon of the Western Everglades
and a guided tour with a Burrowing Owl researcher.
Click HERE to go to the Adopt an Owl page.